Originally Posted by Anonymous
ok, well played with the inappropriate use of the terms. I appreciate that you took the time to actually read it, I will give you that. But you never said you would choose any of the above but D, despite this practice being so offensive to you. The overwhelming majority of the kids and parents, if given the choice would select D. And I suspect you would too. Even with your rapier wit. And that's being honest about the topic. And BTW I didn't defend the practice, I simply gave a scenario and asked people to be introspective and realistic. Were you actually in this position and told your kid to wait until 11th grade? Interesting to know the answer

The practice is only offensive to me when it rewards those who holdback their precious athletes.

I consider that group the scum of scum. The few on age kids that are lights out I can understand, they deserve the recognition and ER. The parents that claim to have a son on age, but he comes out of the pool with huge tufts of hair under the arms at a 5th grade summer tourney – I'll leave my thoughts about the parents to myself, but that kid shouldn't be recruited early. The owners of travel organizations that recommend your son come to a practice for the grade beneath so you can see more domination, but he is really testing the waters if you'd be willing to hold your son back and play at his private school – should no longer be on the planet to promote ER. He's the one of many destroying the sport. The few players that are decent but rely on the coattails of their older siblings playing D-I, or are the child of an alum, yeah, ER or first looks are inevitable, but please, leave your politics off the field. Good for you that you have the connection, wish we had it.

I know it's all in the game of ER, that's life, but I'm entitled to my opinions even though ER won't change. I come from a hard working-class family that despises hand outs, cheating the system and nepotism, especially by those who claim not to do it.

I've been introspective and realistic as you requested, but don't need to share more of our background other than – our family is lower middle class, non-ethnic, player is near perfect in the classroom, plays for a top team.

The answer your question:

If we got a call early on, it would have to be from an institution that is just out of reach of my child's academic ability, that also would be able to provide financial aid for a non-ethnic middle class family – because the lax 'book money'is not enough. (The university list has now been severely cut to only a handful of options)

The answer is D, but modified.

d) Take the offer. Have a heart to heart about how there is a responsibility to continue to do his best, including academic and athletic strength and integrity. How it turns out will be a lesson in life, it either works out or it doesn't, and that's okay. But we have the faith it will. We as parents will continue to do our best to guide and support him. Yes, the process will be a team effort by the family. Furthermore, I'd emphasize that it's your brain the gets you somewhere in life. Not playing lacrosse in college is not the end of the world. So, now let's give this our best shot!

I would NEVER mention anything about 'screwing up' and creating 'disappointment' as you suggest. It's always about striving to be the best one can be and that is what helps define character. That's all anyone can ask, and if one knows they did his best, it's easy to live with it should things not work out. After all, there's another few thousand recruits in line right behind him and others possibly transferring in from another program. He'll be forgotten by the coach within 24 hours.

And the facts remain, the chances for recruitment are close to zero (especially when you're not a 21 year old freshman coming out of private school with wealthy parents willing to donate to the school)

Looks like we're going to a state school and playing somewhere else as a graduate student! wink