Originally Posted by Anonymous

But what actually happens? A 9th grader visits a D1 school and the 9th grader's parents and the college coach sign some kind of document ? Does the kid get some kind of written offer from the school ?
Thanks.

no all verbal. not binding on either side. It's like going steady in middle school. I like you, you like me, maybe we'll get married someday

Says the dad who's kid has no interest, you know the kid with no prom date. A verbal is a very serious commitment favoring the kid. The vast majority are honored by both sides

I think a few years ago you could say that but now it's more parents and kids abusing the system for themselves. It looks good and creates interest from other schools. To be very honest I have seen kids commit that quite frankly are no where near the top of their class. Not even close . No I am not jealous because I have completed the process. I realize they are just trying to stir the pot to get other teams to want them. They may be scrambling in the end because they are not going to get other coaches to bite . My sons future coach feels the same way. maybe he is smarter then the rest or he is missing the boat but I agree with him.