Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It does happen a lot. The first thing Tambroni did when he took the Penn State job was to release all the commits and he told them he may or may not recruit them again. That should serve as notice for any HS underclassman who commits to UVA or another program where the coach is headed out the door. It also happens a lot more than people think when kids decommit here and then commit there. This can be a family just upgrading from a Furman to a UNC but just as often it is a kid who is getting a signal that he's not lined up well anymore to get the earlier promised scholarship and he should consider looking into other options. That is a polite way of saying you can come here and walk on but that may not be in your best interests.

The Penn State example is not really a good one, because he did not recruit those kids. Yes if you commit early and the coach leaves for whatever reason your verbal is obviously null, unless the new coach wants you. My point still remains that it is extremely rare for a coach to decommit a kid he recruited. Simply does not happen, provided the kid adheres to the specifications of the verbal. I've been through this with two sons and practically every kid in their recruiting cohort is going where they committed. You are correct that some switch their commitment, either because they did not meet Ivy requirements or they got a better offer because their level of play increased dramatically. This I found to be the exception, not the norm.

The U Delaware coach this past summer fired all of his assistants and voided all of the 2016 verbals and went and recruited all new kids. While this is certainly not the norm, it is a good example of the volatility of this process and how nothing is guaranteed.