Originally Posted by Anonymous
12.6 scholarships spread out over a 50 man roster makes me think a coach would have to be an absolute fool to give one player a 100% "full ride" with athletic money. There will be some other shiny penny in the next class and the class after that and the class after that....

Exactly! Giving a "full ride" to one player out of every class of 8 to 10, does not add up. No matter how I try to work the numbers, even with the "new math" - I cannot do it. Even with round numbers of 40 players on the roster - the top player in each class getting the "full package" - leaves 8.6 packages to be divided up amongst 36 players per year. And to ensure a commitment from each of them (NLI) - you have to give a slice.
The numbers do not add up with the round number of 40 - how does it work with an average roster size of 50?

I can't find it now, but there was a quote by the UVA coach a while back where he flat out said he wouldn't consider giving a full athletic scholarship or close to that to any player except maybe the highest rated player in the country provided that he was a position they were weak at.

There you go - the UVA coach validated that full rides do exist. They are extremely rare but they do exist for the best of the best and even then it is very rare. I probably would not offer 100% to anyone, but they do exist. I know it for a fact but you are talking about maybe 1 in 1000 D1 players.

You're missing the point - the one-in-a-thousand scenario (which, BTW, is tantamount to "not existing") means that most, if not all, of the posters that make such claims about "full rides" here on BOTC are full of crap! This is absolutely the case because the number of claims of such made. One other clarification is that while the UVA coach said he would consider a full ride under those very rare occasions, he followed that statement up by basically saying that even then he probably wouldn't do it.