Originally Posted by Anonymous
The other issue with 'big money' is it's coming on the academic side, with 45 man rosters and only 12 scholarships per year, that's not a lot of athletic money to go around.

If I recall correctly the maximum number of athletic scholarships for D1 lacrosse is 12.6 scholarships PER TEAM. Not per year. In other words there is just 3.15 rides per year if the program splits it among the four classes equally.

My advice, don't get into lacrosse for the money. That only works out for a very precious few.
You are absolutely correct. Which is why most schools, not all, renew/give athletic scholarships on a year to year basis. (The academic money is usually a 4 year promise) Again, the Big Ten seem to give out 4 year athletic scholarships more so than others, but then they are 'stuck' with their early recruiting mistakes.

Bingo, IE, there is NO school giving out big money for lacrosse - they have no say in the matter since the NCAA sets that low mark.
in the eyes of the NCAA; lacrosse, baseball et al. are equivalency sports, and only Football & Basketball are so called head count (of course they bring in the $$ to the NCAA) sports. I've seen this with baseball; if you don't continue to show potential, or there's a HS recruit better than you at your position, coaches (who are paid to win) will not renew the athletic scholarship part. So where I give the Patriot dad a little leeway is, these are all great schools if after Freshman year the lacrosse isn't panning out and yet you still have decent academic scholarship money.