I agree, the money probably would be better spent elsewhere . That being said, I have a find who's kid is lights out and LOVES the game, so in some ways, he is stuck so I donut blame hi for going Fla and other places. He refuses to hold his kid back a year though.But unless you kid is lights out money spent on other extra curricular activities , Eagle Scout, etc will help more for getting into schools and getting money off. If you are very good student and your borderline for a certain college they may take you if you play lax, practice squad players always needed and players who bring the team average up. I have seen not so good players helped pt get into a place because they play.
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I totally agree with you. Here's another thought: If these same parents spent their thousands of dollars on math or science extra help, extracurricular courses or summer camps instead of travel lacrosse and clinics, their kids could get a much more valuable academic scholarship, succeed throughout college and then land a high-paying job once school ended. Great math skills can get you very far in life as math builds critical thinking skills necessary for any rewarding career. It's the nerds that make the big bucks, not the athletes. For every successful professional athlete, there are many more successful businessmen in the corporate world. I also don't understand why parents spend so much money on a sport in which there is no chance of earning a living playing it. If your son is a great athlete, steer him towards the sports that pack the stadiums and are on primetime TV. Lacrosse peaks in college and then it fizzles. It's a dead-end sport. I've been to MLL games. D1 (even D2 and D3) college games much more exciting.