Originally Posted by Anonymous
That's a terrible rationale/explanation. PARENTS are responsible for establishing a family culture that makes sure their kids ultimately assess the potential colleges in a thoughtful way (whether as 9th, 10th, 11th graders, etc).

Reading a parent saying its reasonable for a kid to pick a school based on a football coach/team they can watch speaks to why the USA is falling behind ...

Well the then 17 y/o D who did not like the people in the surrounding area is now at an Ivy for grad school, sooooo, I don't think she made a poor choice for undergrad. They attend for a quick 4 years of their lives. If they attend the best academic school they can get into, why shouldn't they go where they will fit in academically and socially? Last I looked, U of M is not a "underperforming" school. Have you ever attended a football game at Notre Dame? Thanks to my irrational/silly 17 year old and her lack of parental input and poor choices, we got to go to several.
A kid has to want to attend a school, love the environment, not just for a spot on a lacrosse team.