Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's the facts. Full rides do not exist. Even IF your child got full athletics no offer covers room and boar. My daughter was the 2nd recruit in her class to a top 5 d1 school. She received 40% athletics and the same for academics. I paid the other 20% plus dorm which ranges from school to school but is around 13k

You should have asked for more. Every top recruit I know gets a lot except Ivies which give nothing, although some have secret grant money that they can be creative with.

"secret grant money" - Sorry, BS flag is out and thrown. Those are the kinds of "secrets" that can get coaches fired. Plus, if you are so lose about it that you are willing to bring it up on a forum - it would have been mentioned at the wrong bar long ago.

My kid doesn't get it but I know it's there at Cornell. A good friends kid goes there and does. My kid gets well over 40% athletic $ at an ACC

It is not "secret"- there is grant money and because a recruit needs to have a certain GPA/ ACT/SAT for the academic index- there is grant money that can be given to a student athlete that is wanted/needed for the institution and cannot afford a 70 grand tuition, which many cannot. Alum give lots of money to see "their" teams do well.

That makes more sense now. There are certain requirements for receiving this grant money and it is therefore tracked and approved by the administration. It's not the "secret" wink wink - type money that would be illegal. Why was it referred to as "secret grant money" by the original poster? Is it because they did not know about it and thought that people just kept it a secret.