Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Didn't manhassett have a freshman play up last year?

WM has a 2019 committed to an ivy already

Pequa has a loaded 2019 class.

GC has probably 3 freshmen that could play up on varsity.

SWR has one as well.

Syosset has some very good 2019s. 2 are really good

This is all great and Im sure they are all fine players, but varsity is a different animal. Im going to say that most of these kids will not see 1 minute of actually playing time in any kind of meaningful game if they actually get pulled up to varsity and stay there. Not a knock on those kids its just reality. Standing out against other 2019's is one thing, competing against some of the best competition in the country is quite another especially given the size and speed difference. All of those kids will wait their turn and shine when its their time. Best of luck to all of them.

I'm confused. All I hear on this site is how early recruiting is bad for the game. There is non stop banter about how early recruiting is resulting in parity at the DI level. People cheer when the programs who habitually drive the early recruiting process lose to teams that "wait" a bit longer. I hear people say "how can college coaches tell who the studs are going to be?". There is also a lot of talk about the "late bloomer". I also hear how strong certain programs are (Massapequa, Syosset, Garden City, Manhasett, Smithtown E, Ward Melville). I hear how competitive the leagues are. I have to ask some questions.

Is it really that competitive?

If schools the size of Massapequa, Ward Melville and Syosset have to bring up 9th graders is the program really that strong? Smaller schools like Manhasset and CHS i get it.

Why don't these programs go with their late bloomers? is it because oonce the HS coach brings a kid up they are committed to the kid? Are HS coaches afraid to admit they made a mistake? Do the late bloomers simply get pushed aside and never get the chance?

If early recruiting is ruining the game then I would guess HS coaches bringing up 9th graders is contributing to the demise as well. Parents (youth league coaches) and kids jockeying and [lacrosse] kissing. Youth league "parent" coaches trying to pave the way and promote their own kid. Does any of this contribut to the current state of the game?

Do HS coaches feel obligated to bring early recruits up? Do the HS coaches feel they need to bring the early recruits up in order to stay relevant in the recruiting process. Kids are committing before they ever play a varsity game. Does that influence the HS coach? Are HS coaches influenced by college coaches calling on behalf of their recruits?