Originally Posted by Anonymous
Long Island parent here. What's the big deal with the 2000 year of birth. My son is 9th grade born early 01. A lot of his friends in same grade are born in late even mid 2000. Stop crying. That is the "edge" some kids have.

Hear is the reality: as far as I know, most school districts on The Island have a December 1 cutoff date for kindergarden. 12/1/2000 - 11/30/2001 would put you in the Class of 2019. Anything earlier and the child is considered a Holdback. For some players it does not matter, however when a very strong athlete is held back that player will have a significant advantage. If a team has several players who are "very good athletes" who happen to be held back several months (Jan. Feb. Mar. April. May. etc...) that team will have a big advantage. That is not a complaint, it is reality.

A boy who is a really good athlete for his age is going to have a huge advantage over boys 8 to 20 months younger than he is.

I personally do not have a problem with it, it helps my kid when he plays stronger competition.