Originally Posted by lefty67
Thanks for your insight. As a father of a very young lacrosse player, your response is very refreshing and enlightening. We put way too much pressure on our kids (at too young of an age) and ourselves in trying to develop the next lacrosse stud. I'd love for my son to be an excellent student first and then an athlete. Academics will provide many more opportunities in life..........

It disheartens me when lacrosse parents go all palms up to say 'well, you do get it that most lacrosse recruits need help to get in and without lacrosse they'd never get in'....well, I wonder why that is. Lacrosse kids aren't stupid. The lacrosse demographic isn't poor. A good many of these kids in this demographic attend some very good private schools. I don't hear lacrosse parents complaining that their 3.9 GPA and 90s percentile ACT or SAT kid is getting screwed or cheated out of all 8 selective colleges the kid applied to. The worse outcome is a would be great student who is just a great lacrosse player who needs the second to save him. If your 18 year old gets to that point, you really failed as a parent. That isn't my daddy bragging. It is really hard to carve an impressionable 8th or 9th grade boy away from a bad imbalance. It is possible to be a great student and a great lacrosse player in high school and parents and kids should be willing to take ownership that both are important.