The debate started when someone equated Patriot League schools with Ivy League Schools. That post along with some others have implied that a degree from a Patriot School is far better than a degree from a State School.

Patriot League Schools are good schools but they are not Ivy league Schools. Personally, If my kids could go to an Ivy that is where I would encourage them to go. The Patriot Schools would come in behind the likes of:

Duke, Hopkins, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Michigan, Virgina, North Carolina, Penn State, Maryland and maybe Ohio State (I have not looked into Ohio State).

Depending on what a student athlete is looking for the above all can offer a great college experience along with excellent academics and great alumni networks.

If your son is an excellent student but is not offered a spot at an Ivy or Duke, Hopkins, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Villanova etc... I would look at the NESCAC Schools. If you are looking for small private schools with excellent academics and competitive athletics NESCAC is the way to go.