Originally Posted by Anonymous
Cant speak for the other schools, but WM usually brings up one or two 9th graders-and they never really do anything but practice with the team. run on the field in a blow out...

Much better to have those boys playing with their buddies on JV in my opinion. But-let's face it, parents enjoy the bragging rights of getting recruited early or being asked to play V as a freshman. the kids deserve credit and this is not disrespectful to them or their parents.

But Absolutely nothing wrong with playing JV for a year or two and having fun with your mates (even if you were an early recruit).

the thrill of varsity is getting asked, after that, more fun to be had-and more time on the field, at JV level. Rushing to be on varsity so you can go to the weekly pasta parties...

I am not a historian, but don't recall any freshman at WM that contributed in any meaningful way over the last 5 years...yes, I saw a couple run on the field occasionally, but never a stud.

My oldest son played varsity as a Freshman and it wasn't a great experience. He was big and skilled but not fast. His body hadn't matured enough so he didn't really enjoy it. As a sophomore he was much faster and loved every second of it. Each kid is different as is each situation. Let the kids have fun and enjoy the time, it goes by way too fast.