umm the way understood it, being left back meant you didnt have the grades to move on to the next grade or there was something physically or mentally wrong. Although no one wants to hear it there are legitimate reasons for a kid to reclass. Now some people take it to the extreme and abuse the system but for some families reclassing is a good and solid option and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Case in point, my son was a 2017, however his birthday was very late November 1999. He has played competitive lacrosse at a high level in the 2017 age group his whole life and our town program is considered a powerhouse. However, in my estimation the best thing for him was to reclass and attend a prep school to get him ready academically and athletically for the next level. Since he reclassed he committed to a mid D1 and his grades have never been better, so for us it was definitely the right move. Now the flip side of that is the people that held their kid back in kindergarten, had their kid reclass in 8th grade and plan on having their kid do a PG year so that when they start college they will be 20 years old, which I know for a fact goes on.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I love when everyone says Reclassed....When I went to school it was called "Left back "

Originally Posted by Anonymous
amazed to see a handful of 2019 kids all re classify to 2020 . are they all in 8th grade again or just going to take a PG year .