Reading some of this has be laughing quite a bit. I was a college athlete 20 years ago and I first started lifting weights summer before college. I put on 20 pounds just like that as an 18 year old college freshman. Until the recent decade or so kids weren't training like they are today, or were they hitting weights earlier. Now that I've had sons who are athletes through high school all I see now are kids who have a build you earn in the weight room. Of course boys mature more between 16 to 18 and then to 20, but I too would concur that these comments are way too dramatic. Back when I played another sport at Carolina the rule of thumb was if you ain't good enough as a second year guy, you'll never be. I never saw a good college athlete and contributor who went from zero to being a starter because he turned 20 from 19 or whatnot. It sounds a lot more to me like this PG year is a needed extra for guys who need to catch up. But those aren't the guys who will stand out after the arrive. It just doesn't work that way.