Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is the new trick: Tell them you are going PG, drop down a class, hopefully you get better looks versus younger field. Then use it as an option to go NESCAC if your grades are good enough.

Ok I have to call you out on this. I have a few questions:

1. Who are you telling you are going PG?
2. Use what as an option to go to a NESCAC?
3. You think PG'ing is a new trick?

Heres my two cents on this. When a kid decides to PG he is doing it for one of two reasons, he is verballed to a school who is telling him to PG or he is trying to get into a school he might not have been able to before. You dont have to go PG to go to a NESCAC, if youre grades are good enough and your a good lacrosse player, the NESCACS will take you. As far as this being a "new trick", sorry but this has been going on for a long, long time, Prep schools are filled with PG's every year.

Doing a PG year is a legitimate option for a lot of kids and it is usually mutually beneficial for the kid and the school he is committed or will be committing too. Perfect example is Justin Guterding of Duke. He had a great career at Garden City and did a PG year at Salisbury. Hes killing it at Duke and I bet if you talked to him he would attribute a lot of that success to having that extra year and Im sure it has also helped him tremendously academically as well. Club coaches, high school coaches and especially college coaches are strong proponents of PG years when they feel it is necessary. If your kid is good enough on the field and off it to get into his 1st choice of schools, great for him, but the reality is for a lot of kids thats just not the case.