Originally Posted by Anonymous
Unfortunately, your friends son is the total exception. I heard this past w/e a 2018 was offered significant $ to a ACC school last year but wanted to continue to weigh options - when he finally decided this fall to commit to that ACC school his offer was much less - they were not happy ... not 100% sure if true but they made it clear that they wish they had accepted the offer last year - no sure why they would fib about it.... this is not just about crazy parents with huge egos - this is about how recruiting is conducted now .... read the Havard AD post on early recruiting - not just lax...

You are missing my point. not every kid that gets early offers are successful and kids that get offers later have just the same chance of making an impact on the team as the early recruit did. Yes he didn't get a lot of money for first year, but he did get it upped after his first season of college and now he is a starter. I know 4 kids on his team that were early commits and they haven't seen the field yet.

I know its great to get the college locked in early but that is not the case with a majority of the players out there. I am more concerned that the kid gets the opportunity to play and picks the right school to help him get the education he wants. Not everyone gives birth to a Rob Pannell.