Originally Posted by Anonymous
Maybe these families wanted to go where there was not a dad coaching the team????

Discounting a coach because he happens to be a players Dad is a mistake. My kids have had All American college players as coaches who couldn't run a practice and showed up to tournaments hung over and late for games (I coached half a game at one tournament until he arrived) and they have had Dads as coaches who were excellent. Be open minded and talk with the coach to get an idea of his commitment level and knowledge.

You were very lucky. I have only been in situations where the Coaches son plays over others who are more deserving. If you are paying the money and you made the team you should play over "Daddy's kid". On the other hand, a positive to parent coaching is that the team has more practices because the parent has more invested in the team with a child playing. I am trying to go the no Daddy route or find a team where my kid and the coaches son doesn't play same position.

I couldn't agree more. My little guy's coach didn't play college lacrosse and he is a fantastic coach. He is dedicated, knowledgable and creative in practice. The kids love him and his assistant and they have improved beyond my expectations.

I have been one of those DAD/COACH for 6 years and I can tell you that my son didn't start or play man up when we had better players then him. I told him very directly that if he wants to play more, he has to work hard like the other boys and earn his spot. not every dad/coach is bad, sure some might be but don't put us all in that category. Now he is coached by someone else and he has put in his time working out and has been a starter ever since. I am guessing he probably wished he had a different coach over the past few years-haha

I've been a Dad/Coach for both Town and Club teams for the last 8 years and I have never favored my sons. Fact is, I probably pay less attention to them than I should and I am far more critical of them. Hopefully the vast majority of parents have been happy with my coaching style and I know the kids have developed under my guidance. Give Coach/Dads a fair chance to prove themselves.