Originally Posted by Anonymous
Correct it is just a handshake with the coach and if the coach leaves so do does the offer.
Originally Posted by America's Game
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Serious question, and not from a jealous parent, just a spectator on this board. I have a 2020 kid. At what point are these coaches going to be shown the door for these extremes of public commits of kids who have not started high school? The initial big three for ER were Hopkins, UVA and UNC in no particular order to me. All of those are pretty strident academic schools that are hard for common applicants to get in. At what point do admissions administrators say bugger off to the coaches out of not much more than principal (or worse spite)? I'd also be concerned that an Ivy program doing this before any grades are in the transcript for 9th graders. Seems like a wild projection, and admissions at those schools may feel they need to curb it by sending a message. Getting a lacrosse offer is great, but getting screwed by admissions would be a debacle for all ears down the road.

You do understand that all an early commit is a handshake. If the student doesn't maintain their half of the bargain no admission to said school. The other thing is many schools look at a students history in school, parents, upbringing and they can somehow determine a kids academic future based on these factors. Historically they are pretty good at it. Ivys use academic index to determine a players future grades. I think with the younger commits you will see more decomitts and or revocation of offers. This is actually occurring often this year's with many 2016 graduating class early commits changing which school they will attend.

The number decommits in the 2016 class is not very large at all. There Approximately 575 2016 D1 commits so far. There have been only about 25 or 26 decommits so far in that year. So the overall percentage of decommitting in the 2016 class so far it's only 4-5% at this time.