Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My second son is going to a SUNY school, will have zero debt upon graduation and will be on solid ground. My oldest son attended Cornell, has $110,000+ in student debt and has not found a good job in his chosen field.

Think post-grad people, before allowing or encouraging your son to chase a lacrosse dream. Its foolhardy in most cases.

Debt is caustic.

The SUNY schools are great values, and when it comes to Albany and Stony Brook also very good lacrosse programs.

My son was offered a roster spot at a university that would cost $60,000 per year with an offer of $5-8K (few variables). Of course he wanted to commit to the school that very second. My wife and I sat down to discuss the quality of the education, the cost, the coach, the location of the school and the program long term. We came to the conclusion that attending this university would be nice but not at that price tag. I am hearing horror stories from friends who's kids have graduated, have tons of student debt and feel that burden will never be lifted. They are living at home with no light at the end of the tunnel. We made the decision for our son, he's 14 and no kid that young should be left to decide such an important decision. He will wait to see if they offer more (doubt it) or another school would like him to join the team.