[quote=Anonymous]I have a real question, not being sarcastic in any means. I don't understand the reclassification or PG year thing. Do kids stay in the same school and repeat a grade for no other reason but lavrosse, or do the have to switch schools. My son is a 2019 who is considered a good player. I just cant imagine telling him he is going to repeat 9th grade and him being ok with it. Is this practice really more common that I think, because I don't know anyone in our school or on our travel team who has done this. [/quote

For public school kids the only way they will let you repeat a grade is for academic failure or behavioral concerns. In my sons case it was an academic and athletic decision as well as other factors. My son was offered this opportunity and I left the final decision up to him. He decided to give it a try and so far it has been a great experience for him. Make no mistake, it was an extremely difficult decision and one that we did not take lightly. It is more common than you think, although on Long Island it is less common because the public and private school programs are very strong and the travel lacrosse is very good.

As for a PG year It is an option for many kids who may need a year to get their grades up or the school they are committed to may have asked them to do it for scholarship/roster reasons. My sons school has several PG kids who are committed to D1 and D3 schools.