Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can people stop referring to verbal commitments as "semi-binding". This is incorrect and fuels some peoples perception that once a kid verbals he is all set.

The verbal commitments being publicized online require interest from the school and from the player, and there is discussion of possible athletic scholarship but at the end of the day it is nothing more than a handshake and a "gentlemen's agreement".

A players NLI is binding, before that is signed there is no binding commitment between the school and the player. Either can back out at any time.

I think most people understand exactly what a "verbal commitment" is. I would bet that just about every player and parent of a player who is being offered a spot and or scholarship as a 9th grader completely understands the agreement.
I think the only people who get worked up about early recruiting and verbal commitments are the parents of players who are not being recruited and offered spots. I have not gone back and read all of the posts on this thread but I have never heard of anyone refer to a verbal as "semi-binding".