As I navigate the lacrosse recruiting world with my son: I have read a lot on it, been counseled on it, and experienced a lot personally.

1. 12.6 Scholarships per D1 team to be divided amongst all players. There are approximately 40-50 players per team. That's not a lot of money to be shared. Lacrosse is not like football where it is fully funded. FBS has 85 full scholarships to give out per team.

2. Numbers game. Coaches try and see and get as many kids interested in their program so they have as many options as possible.

3. Don't take what coaches say or do as gospel. They really are just trying to get best players for their team. They will say and do whatever it takes, its their job. I have heard it countless times "we don't take early commits" from coaches at recruiting seminars and showcases.I have had friends kids committed to that same Coach the week before in 9th grade before the first report card is out. Then while walking same coach approaches me and ask where is my son considering going can he have his coaches number. Want to set up a time to talk all while he was in 9th grade.

4. All of these early commits are just handshakes by both parties. A lot can change from 9th to 12th grade for player and coach. It's not a binding contract. There will be decommitts due to change of skill some players get worse or don't meet projection. Others realize they can get into a better school than the one they early committed to. Then there are players not meeting expectations in classroom. Coaches are not obligated to take you. Coaches leaving or getting fired and a whole slew of other reasons.

5. It's an amazing accomplishment to play D1 but parents it's not the end of the world if your kid doesn't. College lacrosse is not a means to an end. Enjoy the ride. It's a hard one for you and your child. The time and the money spent is incredible. The one thing you will never get back is the time spent with your kid as an 12, 13, and 14 year old. Spend the time wisely and enjoy them. Take this from a person that recently learned to step back and let his kids enjoy the game he loves.