Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks for the post. I do know a lot about the NE boarding schools. I went to one Founders League school and have two sons who attend another Founders League school, including one at Deerfield. I think much of what you wrote is at least partially incorrect. First, these preps aren't scholarship offering athletes. There is financial aid, but I would not confuse that with something else. Consider this, back in my era there were 2-3 PGs per year. They were always sports related, and they were always instances where a kid had already been recruited but could not qualify for admissions. These kids would be steered toward a Pg year in order to make it to Cornell for ice hockey or Columbia for soccer, etc. The HUGE difference now is schools like Deerfield, Loomis, Andover have blown up the numbers and take 30-40 PGs a year. What is the same is it is always sports and it is also almost always for an academic finishing year. Like a lacrosse kid who needs it to get into Duke, Princeton, etc. What I know as an alum and former board member at one and as an informed parent at another is THIS IS A BIG $$$$$$$ BUSINESS for these prep schools. There is a reason why Deerfield and Loomis are paying architects and evaluating contractors to build new PG only dorms on top of the huge PG numbers already in these schools, and it is not because they want to be #1 in a sport or beat their rival. Of course those things are nice, but the real reason is full paying families who want or need to have their kid PG for sports reasons in preppy sports like lacrosse is a treasure trove. If you want your kid to finish up a PG year at Deerfield and your kid is a top ranked or regarded lacrosse recruit, unless you have a family AGI under $75,000 for recent tax years...then start planning your family budget for a spare $60,000 to send him there.

Not sure I agree at all with you on the sports ages either. I see few lacrosse players who are reliant on the weight room for their success and my D1 sport was soccer. I have never in 30 years seen a 20 year old who suddenly looked like he belongs on the field who wasn't also an 18 year old who belonged on the field. In lacrosse people saw the Duke team that all got an extra year of eligibility in 2007 and everyone just assumed it was magical those players were a year older. That is nonsense. Crotty and the rest of them were just great players, period.

I appreciate your post and coming from someone who attended and has children attending one of these schools I am sure you have a lot of experience with them. I am sorry but there are schools that actually pay for players to attend. Alum and their endowments allow for this. I know this for a fact. Yes its about the money. Its about ways to get more students, be it a PG athlete or an academic to go there and spend the money like you said big business. So if your school is winning the games in whatever sport then more kids will want to attend especially the athletes. Now add on the new dorms that are being built as another perk for the PG student. Makes it more desirable doesn't it. There is tradition and the prestige of going to one of these schools especially the ones you mention. I am in no way knocking these institutions. If I felt it necessary I would send my son to one. You said it when it used to be just a handful that needed to PG to get into the school of their dreams now everyone is trying to do so based on the visions of playing D1. Don't you find that crazy? Years ago it was about getting your grades up for a few gifted athletes now everyone is a gifted athlete. You know who is telling the parents and players that? The club directors. I also don't think PGing is a problem because most PG's play age appropriate its the 9th grade repeats that are an issue in my book. Again this is my opinion.

In regards to the athlete and age. A gifted athlete at 20 is stronger faster and a better athlete then he was at 18. Just by practicing more and your body filling out for 2 years makes a huge difference. Its not just weights and building huge amounts of muscle its core development speed and agility. All these thing develop with age. At 18 a player weighs 180 at 20 I weighs 195. That 15 lbs is all muscle and from eating better training and just maturing. These are D1 athletes and its not the Freshman 15. Now same athletic ability with more strength to push you off the ball. Now more confident and willing to take chances. So again i disagree with your suddenly belonging on the field. Most of these athletes belong on the field just how much of an impact they can make as a incoming 18 year old freshman or an incoming 20 year old freshman is the question or puzzle many parents players and coaches are trying to figure out.