Originally Posted by Anonymous

Our district is 12/1 cutoff. Current 9th grade in our district should be born between 12/1/2000 and 11/30/2001. I think most Long Island School Districts have the same cutoff date.

Kids born mid to late 2000 have a huge advantage. I will not call it cheating but there is certainly an advantage when competing against younger players. That advantage is greatest between 7th and 10th grade.

Your wife is a champ

Really? A huge advantage? Someone born in September-December of 2000 has a huge advantage over someone born in January-March of 2001?

Guess you held your kid back. 6 months or more can be a huge advantage.

If I have any more kids I will hold them back from starting kindergarden, re-class in the 8th, 9th or 10th grade do a PG year and then redshirt in college. I might even petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility.

No, actually my kid is a 2/2001 birthday. He manages just fine playing 2019 against those kids that are 2-5 months older. At an MIAA school of all places. I should take him out for an ice cream for persevering against those huge odds. Sorry if your kid can't handle it.

Good for you and your son, happy to hear. I have a December 1999 "2018" and late June "2019" both do well and compete but there is a clear advantage being older than most of the kids. As I stated, I will not call it cheating but there is an big advantage to being older than most of the kids that you compete against.