Originally Posted by Anonymous
With many new teams popping up, does it pay to have my son play for a club as a freshman or just figure it out during the spring, registering him to play in showcases and send him to camps? He will be playing on his HS team as a freshman playing varsity.

No snide comments needed. Thank you in advance for guidance.

If he is playing varsity for a top team then I wouldn't worry but if he plays for a small school it won't carry much weight..my guess is less then 10 kids will be playing varsity as freshman and I doubt any are at big schools

Since there were 6 8th graders that played varsity last year I'd say there maybe upwards of 20-25 freshman playing varsity. Some may surprise you. Some may surprise you half will be on playoff teams.

I didn't know there we're that many . how did they did?..was there a need for them to play up?

yes for most. Good thing was they all made the most of their time. That is all you can ask.

So my guess is that they didn't start for their Varsity teams which is what I thought..just not sure if it's safe to play Varsity in 8th grade without the risk of getting hurt

In hind sight playing varsity was a smart move but was the best move for our son. I think there are a variety of things that you need to know before allow you son to play.

1). Do not over look the Physical nature of the game. The refs single out the player in the pregame line up at mid field. Letting the other teams know or some of the teams figure out there are younger kids. Some DB kids will go after them. That needs to be changed.

2). It is a time commitment I am sure those kids played travel and it takes its toll and is draining. 9th grade grades mean a ton.

3). for pete's sake it is draining and all but don't stop working out and running. This separates the committed.

4). Starting isn't a be all end all. Time in and quality time in does. Coming out of the box, playing LSM, getting on man up. Heck even non Quality time (especially for goalies).