Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
That is very misleading. Madlax is based in NoVa but is headquartered less than 4 miles from the Maryland border. It is a DMV club attracting from Va, DC and MD. And BTW, the holdback phenomenon is a DMV thing on all sides. If you add it all up over the preps these kids attend on both sides of the Potomac the holdback numbers are jarring. There are kids by the dozen playing grade based club for Madlax or Crabs that have done 8th grade twice at Bullis, Landon or Mater Dei (née Mater Delay). A decent percentage of those same kids live on the Virginia side. Those school buses leaving Tysons every morning for Landon, Bullis and Georgetown Prep are full. And they are full of kids who repeat a grade to play a certain sport we are also debating here. It is a minority of kids in the DMV playing high level club lacrosse who are on age. In Baltimore with the pre-first year as nearly a given nearly 100% of prep kids there are a year old for their grade.

I am from the area. I am informed. I have kids who play club, I had an on age kid at one of these schools and I am not making any of this up. I'm also not going to take any Madlax or Crabs defiant challenges to name names because all this is talk and not facts. I won't play on the kids. I'm embarrassed to be a part of a youth sports community this contaminated by serial lying and defiance. Let's just face it this way; there's no age rules in club lacrosse and there are people who can afford to game it for an advantage.

Some of the things you write are correct. Most most of your thoughts are complete exaggerations or lies. Let's look at it.

There are kids by the dozen playing grade based club for Madlax or Crabs that have done 8th grade twice at Bullis, Landon or Mater Dei (née Mater Delay).

You state that 12+ kids at these schools/clubs who have repeated 8th grade twice. You can't name them because that's simply not true.

And they are full of kids who repeat a grade to play a certain sport we are also debating here.

They are not all on the same bus, but there are lots of kids who go to these private schools and repeat a grade primarily in order to be older in a particular sport (especially lacrosse). So this statement is basically true.

It is a minority of kids in the DMV playing high level club lacrosse who are on age.

Not true. Many kids are holdbacks now, but it is far from a majority of the elite kids. It's a significant number, but not number of elite players on age is the majority. By far.

You make a number of good points, but you are seriously exaggerating the situation.

The beauty of it all is that there are many kids that do not do a pre first, do not repeat their 8th grade and get left back and will play right alongside the kids on a D1 team. If you are that talented, you need no manipulated advantage, your skills speak for themself. Good luck to all the boys- the coaches are not dumb and know if the holdback is getting beat by a younger kid. In two years, it will be even more obvious and bench riding is no fun.