Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Well, I don't agree all the way but do see your points. I wonder, was it all magic of being a year older that put you on the field or was it just the odds of the relative talent and experience? You played behind a senior just like many could be cursed by the roster timing. Somebody sat behind Rob Pannell for 2-3 years and then played, but I don't think that one would be explained by just getting older and bigger in the weight room. I also see the point that dooms any argument. If lacrosse coaches see it this way, they will recruit this way. I never really thought of it this way but encouraging a recruit to reclassify or PG is ostensibly selling the kid and family on an unpaid redshirt year. Coaches have so little scholarship money to give and I would guess are averse to awarding it for 5 years to any recruit. So just forget about incentivizing a parent paid first redshirt year. That written, some programs like Maryland and Syracuse have a lot of redshirt freshmen now. Maybe one of the new trends will be to encourage kids to enroll without a scholarship for a redshirt year. I'd presume that it is better for a kid to spend that year on a practice field in college than on a prep school field as a PG. I have been watching Founders League lacrosse for over 30 years, and the current state of it is a joke. These PGs aren't adding anything to their game by blowing up 14, 15 and 16 year olds as 19 year olds. It's just the final act of the pathetic playing down thing in club lacrosse. I wish all the college coaches who are identifying the best 2019s who are 16 as I write. It isn't my job on the line if they are wrong, so to each his own.

My son and I visited a few colleges this Fall and the message was clear. The opportunity to play big time D1 lacrosse is readily available if you'd take a roster spot in the 2020 class. No one ever said that directly but it was implied. One coach asked me "which player stood out to you the most?" I told him which kid and he said "he is already 16 years old attending Culver Academy, we really like him" We were attending an "invite only" prospect day for 2019's. Believe me, it was not an "open" prospect camp. My son is 14 (not small at 5' 11" 166 lbs), its not easy to stand out when you are playing against kids 1-2 years older. Its just a fact and please don't argue the point, its really not debatable.

Unless your son is more athletic..that is the key . If you are big and athletic it goes a long way but you don't have to be the biggest