Originally Posted by Anonymous
A lot of rich daddies too $$$$. I'm sure there's a lot more talent back home who can't afford a $2k weekend to lax. Calm down. Yea I know I'm an angry broke Dad whose son isn't there. Talent wise he should be , just can't afford it. It's a money game still and always will be. That's life.

My oldest son started playing lacrosse in the 7th grade. In college he just graduated last spring. He played on a ranked D1 team, his last 2 1/2 seasons and made honorable mention AA once and played in the NCAA tournament twice. He wasn't recruited much but was strong enough to walk on after he applied to and got into a selective college. He got a lot of merit based money to attend that was better than a lacrosse scholarship. I'm not saying things are the same now. It is super competitive to get the early attention and is expensive to go to these events. I have a 2020 boy who won't be an early recruit and he will likely go as his brother did...make the grades, get in and then consider playing if he wants or can.

I would say this; in my oldest son's class there were kids recruited who never played. My son played ahead of a top 25 IL high school recruit and a kid in the class behind him who was All-IAC in the DC prep league area. Top college players are almost never the same kids who were too 8th graders. I've seen it with my own eyes so many times. I don't think it gets better in terms of ER or how foolish the college coaches are behaving. All your son can control is being a good student first and then good enough player to merit getting a locker and a practice pinnie for fall ball in college. People will tell you a lot of things, but what I am telling you is it doesn't matter if Hop or UNC is full on 2018s or 2019s now. There is no such thing as a coach who doesn't love the free option on a kid who is good enough to compete on the practice field in fall. If your son is better than the kids who did all this NLF and other crap ad got committed in 9th grade, at that point your son will play and that kid will sit. Just focus on playing live and playing hard in practice. If you are better and deserving, you'll have nothing to worry about later.