Originally Posted by Anonymous

Our district is 12/1 cutoff. Current 9th grade in our district should be born between 12/1/2000 and 11/30/2001. I think most Long Island School Districts have the same cutoff date.

Kids born mid to late 2000 have a huge advantage. I will not call it cheating but there is certainly an advantage when competing against younger players. That advantage is greatest between 7th and 10th grade.

Really? A huge advantage? Someone born in September-December of 2000 has a huge advantage over someone born in January-March of 2001?

Guess you held your kid back. 6 months or more can be a huge advantage.

If I have any more kids I will hold them back from starting kindergarden, re-class in the 8th, 9th or 10th grade do a PG year and then redshirt in college. I might even petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility.

No, actually my kid is a 2/2001 birthday. He manages just fine playing 2019 against those kids that are 2-5 months older. At an MIAA school of all places. I should take him out for an ice cream for persevering against those huge odds. Sorry if your kid can't handle it.

Good for you and your son, happy to hear. I have a December 1999 "2018" and late June "2019" both do well and compete but there is a clear advantage being older than most of the kids. As I stated, I will not call it cheating but there is an big advantage to being older than most of the kids that you compete against.

I'm sorry but isn't a Dec 1999 "2018" an older kid in that grade on LI? The youngest 2018's were born Fall 2000 so what if he can 'do well and compete" when your kid is one of the older ones