my son is a 2018 and what a difference a year has made in his overall lacrosse ability and physical ability. A year ago I would not have considered going for the top to middle D1 programs but after the year of growth and maturity he had it's definitely something he is considering. He has been to a number of D1 prospect days and has shown very well. If he was a year younger he might not have shown well at all. I think these coaches are caught up in finding the next superstar and making sure that they have them signed before anyone else. I have seen it a lot this past year, where players that were bigger and just as good as my son are now looking up to him and he is dominating them on the field. This rush to sign young players has resulted in parody in D1 lacrosse. Remember the end all is not lacrosse but the education and job you get after college. Another thing is many D1 players from 10-20 years ago probably wouldn't be going D1 with the number of talented players playing lacrosse now.