Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agree, the that size can be a concern, but if they have the skill and maturity to compete at that level then they should be given the opportunity to earn their spot.

Schools need to do what is best for the students in their care and place them accordingly. There is no one blanket answer bc it is so individualized. If the girls have the skills and maturity ( all facets of such) then their age and grade level should not be a factor. Holding back these girls is stripping away their opportunities and if they can, then they should.

I suspect the complaints will come from those that feel threatened. However,should the young ladies that practice and enjoy this year round be penalized for being dedicated, hard working and talented?

Any precedent for this? Suffolk? Nassau?

Since the Girls Lacrosse boom (say the last 8-10 years for arguments sake), there have probably been a handful of 7-8th grade girls that were brought up to Varsity and have been ready to compete at the Varsity level within the county. Skill/Talent, emotionally and physically ready. Not on their individual school team but truly compete against top talent girls, game in and game out, in the county.

Being on a Varsity sport team in 7/8/9 grade has since been the measuring stick for certain girls and/or their parents. The prevailing thought is, the earlier, the better.

Unfortunately, most girls are not truly ready. They have not matured physically or emotionally. The varsity game is always officiated well and girls get bumped, knocked down etc. Officials then compensate for the size difference by making questionable calls to protect these smaller athletes. Not necessarily a conscious plan but you see it during indoor games and local tournaments.

Girls being moved to varsity to fill the bench are not being done any justice. They get better at lacrosse by playing lacrosse. Game conditions are different than practice conditions.

If these 7-8th grade girls are the best in their district at their age, they should still be able to improve, and they should help their friends and teammates improve. It's better for their overall development.

Any parents who have had their daughters play varsity at the 7, 8, or 9th grade ages, I ask, can you compare their level of play at that age to their level of play at 11th and 12th grade. I can honestly say, my daughter and most of her friends were better at the older ages and, in hindsight, should have stayed and played "age appropriate" until 9th grade.

IMHO