Originally Posted by Anonymous
ESM definitely. Riverhead and westham have a bunch of young girls filling the travel teams too. Question is.... Will they be given the opportunity to earn a spot on jv or varsity teams and give us some competition for the next few years or will the " that's not fair" cries from older, less skilled players' parents run the teams. What's the precedent in other areas? Pros? Cons?

Our district is small and almost always calls up MS girls to JV, and even V sometimes. This seems to be fine at the JV level from what I can tell. At the V level, what I've seen is, generally speaking, the younger girls generally don't have the size, or more importantly, the game sense of the older girls. I've seen a lot of trying to do it all by themselves with two or three girls on them when they could and should have made a pass. Or they panic and throw away the ball when somebody big and/or aggressive approaches. They tend to not hold back when we're up because they're focused on the goal. Just stuff like that that comes with more time spent on the game. Yes, all things a good coach should address.

I think it's a good experience for the younger girls to see how the coach operates, to see the level of the game, to see the size of the other teams, and to feel part of the team. In my district, if you're called up you are going to play.

If your child is getting called up and will or might ride the bench then you have to make the decision you feel is best. That has been discussed here and there are arguments on both sides.