Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sure Manhasset has the studs but that's because they play as a team even at the PAL level. They keep kids involved and don't build teams around single players with crazy parents pushing them to pad stats regardless of how it affects the team.

The Newsday stat leaders are rarely on teams that win anything meaningful except getting those players individual end of season awards. But that's all they want, that and to commit in 8th grade!

I agree. Sometimes it feels like if you have not made a verbal by summer of sophomore year you're doomed. Then again I know some verbals that won't be able to get into their choice because of grades. How important are stats in high school? Do college coaches look at them? Do they look at awards? Also when contacting a college do you call coach or assistant coach? Thank you

DD verbally committed to a top 20 division 1 school and they did not ask any questions about her high school career. They watched her over the summer, she attended their prospect day and that was all they needed. Parents get so crazy about the high schools when coaches are even attending games nor do they talk to high school coaches. They want to see you in the summer, in the fall, by video or on their campus. That is the bottom line. As far as contacting send emails to all coaches/call all coaches. You most likely will not get them directly with first contact but definitely do all.

You are right the school teams mean nothing to the college coaches however, parents start padding the summer team resume with made varsity in 7th grade, all county in 8th, all state in 9th etc. Those awards are purely political and a result of stat padding but they are on their bio's just like it will be when its on their college bio page. So if HS means nothing to college coaches then who does it mean something to? Travel Parents!

Boy do you have a complex. Sounds like you have a ready made excuse for everything.

Actually the poster doesn't have a complex but a pretty accurate view of the situation. I agree with some points. I disagree that awards are purely political. The awards are not PURELY political at all. Politics may have a hand sometimes but talent always wins in the end. Club lax however, has certainly become the place college coaches go to shop and buy.

Too bad some immature people can only muster personal attacks and name calling.

Last edited by The Hop; . Reason: Moderator content changed.

Back of the Cage