Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Perhaps the inconsistencies with the statistics and resumes is the reason College coaches choose to look at their potential recruits and their style of play over the summer. A 6 year varsity starter from a weak program with hundreds of points doesn't compare with a 2 year Varsity impact player at a strong program. Coaches make the rounds at the summmer club tournaments and camps and look for players who excel in the challenging games.

High school ball should be about town pride, camaraderie, and perhaps a championship. The best teams play as teams. The oft ignored defense (in the stat column) usually makes the difference in those tight championship games.

Good luck to all our Long Island teams this season! And to the parents, try to relax and enjoy the ride!

Yes. Good post.

Have to disagree, sometimes that 6 year starter is just better than the 2 year impact player, sometimes not. To diminish any of these kids accomplishments because of jealousy is silly. Have seen travel teams who are made up of many of these 6 year starters play against the travel teams with the 2 year impact kids and can say i will take the team with the 6 year starters i.e. YJ vs Liberty
How are the teams with the 6 year starters doing today? Could any of those teams beat Liberty/Manhasset? If you want your kid to be a "gotta get mine" player and in the end not reach there goal stay at Y.J. If you want your kid to learn to play as a team and succeed play liberty and win in the end. While your kid is going down to Maryland that first tournament in June to beat on Liberty remember, its just because Manhasset is going up state to play for the state. At least you get to brag to one another how you kid got 12 goals against Brentwood as a 7th grade starter.

Congrats to Wantagh, you beat GC and Set back to back you deserve a County championship. Sorry, but Set continues to underperform in the big spots, not enough state titles for a program built to win them starting in elementary school at Liberty.