Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is a great example of why NYS does selection classification. If this MS XC runner can beat the Varsity runners why shouldn't that child get the spot on the team? Would it help the child to play MS and run 1.5 miles when the child can beat the Varsity player at a 3 mile race? Does it help the varsity players get better if they are not challenged by better runners? The whole idea of selection classification is remove the age and grade from the analysis of the player's skill level and place them on a team that is appropriate giving consideration to player's skill, maturity, etc. It is and should be done on a case by case basis without pressure from the parents whose child might be displaced.

I am sorry nothing is a good example of the selection classification test.

The criteria is out dated.

If we want this to work then do a central process by Section.
Have selected doctors evaluate the children. Not one's own Pediatrician. I know quite a few (both male and female) who just got the dr to put a passing tanner score.

Food for thought, have the selected student-athletes go to Stony Brook for SectXI and/or Hofstra for VIII for a day and do the physical test (combine per say) in front of other kids from all over the sect. Noone gets a blind eye when doing an event. Noone gets a "pass". Evaluators are consistent across each school with in a section.

Yes, maybe ridiculous to a degree but the dedicated players would love the idea and the competition. It would actually be fun. Those that would be against it I can only think are borderline in passing the current benchmarks.

oh yeah and why not do these on the weekend, why do schools do this during the week?