My book must be older than I thought! here is what US Lacrosse has for what a shot is.
A shot may have several outcomes: a goal, a save, a shot that sails wide of the goal or hits a pipe, or is blocked by a defender’s stick. If not a goal or a save, then the subsequent loose ball may be recorded as a GB if possession is gained during live ball play, i.e., a shot that goes out of bounds is not awarded a GB. A shot that hits the pipe is not recorded as a save for the goalie. Both wide and pipe shots are statistically recorded as nothing more than a shot, but it is good information to note that the shot hit the pipe or sailed wide. Note that following a shot, usually one other statistical mark will also be recorded (goal, save, or GB). Remember, a GB will be awarded to any player that gains control of the loose ball while it is in play on the field (live ball play). No player will be awarded a GB statistic for being closest to the point where the ball goes out of play after a shot.
Officially, there is no such thing as a “shot on goal.” All shots are recorded as just that - shots