Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
I'm picking this thread to list the following because it is the 2014 Spring girls and there has been some discussion about age, playing time, etc.

The following is a breakdown of the Class of 2013 YJ commits and their playing time in their first year of playing college lacrosse. The list was 66 girls (from the website) of all YJ teams across all college divisions. (Disclaimer--I was a YJ parent and my daughter is not represented by this group. I read the YJ thread and things seemed nicer back in the day).

I broke it down as follows: (Strictly by games played)

1) "Impact" player played most games
2) "Played" is about 50% of games with statistical contribution
3) "Not Significant" played in a handful of games with little statistical contribution
4) "Did Not Play"--self explanatory but injury or transfer a possibility

45% of the 2013 commits were "Impact" players
11% of the 2013 commits "Played"
36% of the 2013 commits were "Not Significant"
8% "Did Not Play"

Just food for thought. If I can remember I'll try to follow this class to 2017.

Don't waste your time, the stats are meaningless. An impact player at East Bumfreckle U is the same player that does not see the field at a top ten college.

You are correct but also prove a point. A lot of players go to "East Bumfreckle" and don't play which doesn't help them later in life. But I thought this group was a good representation of where girls play. The vast majority were D1 schools but there were a couple of D3 schools that, from an academic standpoint, were superior to 95% of the other schools. If you have a 2100 SAT player, want to study abroad and play lacrosse don't discount these schools. For most, lacrosse is over in four years and no one will give you a job from "East Bumfreckle".

Being an impact player is mostly a choice. Girls will choose a school for many different reasons, not all of them lacrosse related. 100% of the girls could find a team to play on and be an impact player, it is all relative to the team they choose. Now if you really want to talk impact stats, go back and figure the percentage of impact players on D1 top ten teams. There is a drop off after the top five and a cliff after top ten. I'm sure you will find a player or two and at least you will be comparing apples to apples.The term impact player has zero meaning applied across all college lacrosse teams.

But not every player plays for a top ten D1 school. That wasn't the purpose of my statistics and maybe I used "impact" in a bad way. I just wanted to point out how often the class of 2013 YJ, at all talent levels, played in their freshman year. I used the word "impact" as it related to their team.

Despite saying I wouldn't do this, but I went back to the "Top Ten" D1 schools and the stats are 38% "Impact", 46% "Not Significant" and 16% "Did Not Play". But that was not why I posted the numbers. I just felt that an athletes and parents should understand the expectation to play and the work load that college entails.