Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by The Hop
[quote=Anonymous]I have read that money is not offered by colleges until senior year of high school, if that's true how does a 10th grade verbal know how much will be offered?

They know how much but it is not final until they sign. Verbal agreements can be pulled,but colleges need to be careful that they don't get aa reputation of doing that.
Verbals don't get pulled even when coaches change but the change sometimes leads to players backing out which is what the new coach wants most of the time anyway. Keep the grades up and your daughter will be fine

Verbal scholarships do get pulled! Especially when there is a coaching change. But as a previous poster mentioned it gives the coach and the school a negative aura for future commits so they try to honor most of them. However....they do in fact get pulled sometimes. With the coaching carousel in college lax it makes early commitments very risky!!!!!

Other than Shanon Smith do you know of any other coaches who reneged on verbal commitments, if you do why not let us know . I had that concern when my daughter commited early but was confident in that the coach has been a fixture at the school and they involve the AD in the discussion.
[/quote

Tell us about SS, please.

I do know a teammate of my daughter who committed to a school (can't remember which but somewhere more south) and the coach left. The new coach said she was making all verbals try out, not honoring whatever deals had been cut with the former coach. Our teammate left and went elsewhere, not sure how it shook out for the other commits. That's the only time I've heard of something like this happening.