Originally Posted by Anonymous
Five 7th graders were brought up to JV at ESM three are Top Guns and two are Yellow Jackets. It's not always some huge conspiracy and club affiliation - sure, if you look for a reason you will find it.

The girls brought up are great players in there age group-same thing done last year - its starting to be a pattern at ESM-its a small school so not that unusual - the talent pool is not that large and bringing the younger kids up early gives them more practice and game time as opposed to MS lax which is a joke. By 9th and 10th grade there are only a handful of girls that still play -most get disgusted and quit because of politics and favortism

Or sometimes they just find other interests. Many times it's the parents that seem to have the bigger issues and they project their own opinions on to their children. I know there are situations where kids seem to get a raw deal, but to say that many quit because of politics and disgust I think is a bit of an exaggeration. High school has so much to offer besides lacrosse. Some of my children's peers have left lacrosse for theatre, track, softball. Just because we as parents put a stick in their hand when they were kids doesn't mean they're going to stick with it. Missing family weddings, christenings, proms for lax games or a tryout is a whole other issue but I digress...

You are absolutely right - girls find other interests
And don't want to commit all there time - weekends
Summers - all year round to lax- but once they stop
That and just play in spring they will never see
Playing time on varsity - those
Spots go to the girls who play all year round are committed
To a college - I guess that is what I
Meant by disgust and politics -
Varsity lax is not for the seasonal player
Anymore and that kind of stinks

What has happened to dedication, commitment, work ethic and sacrifice?

How about athleticism, skill and an understanding of the game?

When did athletics at the varsity level become a right?

When did it become acceptable to instal a class system?

Why do some believe that younger players must wait their turn?

Why do some believe that 11th and 12th graders should be given priority treatment based on their grade?

At the very least a coach should be honest with their players. Players should have to compete everyday and they should know where they stand based upon their performance not on their grade/class.

The best coaches identify the best players.

The best teams play the best players.

The best experience for the girls will come when a coach is honest. The girls will respect their coach as well as their teammates when the coach puts politics aside and lets the girls compete for their position.

Just because you don't play a high school sport all year round and your parents might not be able to afford the 5000+ pricetag of club lax doesn't mean you are less committed and should be penalized and not be able to make a varsity team
I wish some of these less affluent kids in certain communities could afford to play club - they would blow these rich kids out of the water

Never said anything about Club Lacrosse. By the way, you do not have to play Club Lacrosse in order to:

- Show up at tryouts in shape. (you can stay fit and train on your own) There is no excuse to come in out of shape and overweight. Doing so displays a lack of commitment on the players part.

- Show up with rusty stick skills. (you can hit the wall or work with a friend) Showing up rusty also displays a lack of commitment.

- Give your best effort throughout the tryouts. Players who were on a team the previous year but do not show an effort during tryouts should not make the current team. (you do not have to be the best to give your best effort)

Sad that there are so many people who believe that athletics should be about seniority and not ability.

The coaches who identify and play the best players in their program will win. Forget the clubs, forget the players grade and forget the politics. Simply identify and play the strongest players. When that is done, all of the players will respect the coach and each other and the "Team" will be successful.

Let the players compete and select and play the best.

Have two girls race, then have the coach tell the girl who came in second that she won the race. The players will not respect the coach or the girl who came in second. There will be resentment and the "Team" will not develop a strong bond. Play upperclassmen or players from certain clubs even if they are not the strongest players and you will have "clicks" and issues on the team.