Originally Posted by Anonymous
now that tryouts are completed.....How many 7th & 8th graders made their town Varsity teams?

I know of a few. Some were sought after by JV/varsity coaches and will get a good amount of playing time and will definitely contribute, don't know if they will be "difference makers" or not but certainly won't hurt the teams they are playing for. All the schools are smaller and not the "top" team. Then you have some players whose parents requested they be given the test and went to coach/AD. My guess is they made it to just make their annoying parents go away. Hope the parents of these kids realize this is not longer youth or club. There is no guarantee of playing time and certainly not equal playing time. Only time will tell if these kids will contribute to the game or to keeping the bench warm.

I certainly see your point dismissing youth lacrosse, but certainly don't dismiss the club lacrosse if they are playing top team on top club. The 8th grade top club teams would crush many/most varsity teams.

I think you are off with your assessment on how well 8th graders at club level would do. Most 8th graders cannot physically compete at that level. Sorry but have girls that play at both age groups (8th and 12th grade) 8th grader is a top player on top club. Can't compare w varsity girls. Varsity play is too physical...

If your 8th grader can't compete with varsity players than she is not a top player on a top team.

I have been watching Varsity girls Lacrosse games for many years . I see many 8th graders playing on Varsity and rarely do they stand out on the stat sheet. They do stand out by being smaller and lighter than most of the players on the team they are playing. Often they are the ones getting blown off a ground ball by a junior or senior that is 50 lbs heavier than they are or dusting themselves off after getting knocked over on the re-defend.