Originally Posted by Anonymous
On some level I agree on the academics piece, but not your comments about diversity, discipline and character.
Remember my caveat : We are only trying to present counterpoint to the discussion.

As to diversity, many would argue single-sex education is the best way to prepare young men and women because it allows them to be themselves and put aside all the adolescent games that can interfere with learning in the classroom.
Just as there are others who would claim that such an environment ill-prepares an individual for a co-ed living situation at the University level.

Nor is discipline at Chaminade the result of a uniform. It is taught by enforcing a code of conduct in the school, holding kids accountable for their actions and giving them a volume of work that demands discipline. When you have all that you grow up.
We agree that discipline comes through individual responsibility.

I don't analogize it to the military, as you did, but West Point is consistently ranked among the top educational institutions in the country. They also, I think, have a pretty good record of churning out leaders year in and year out. Lastly, I agree character is more developed at home (hopefully) but there is no denying that the lessons reinforced at a place like Chaminade are key in terms of shaping the young men that go there. That is why I said the overall "product", in my opinion, is second to none on LI.
We appreciate your view.

Others can disageee, and that is fine, but what I realy was responding to was the "save your money" nonnsense.
Understood.

It may not be for you and your kid, but if you don't recognize what is happening at places like Chaminade you haven't been paying attention.
This can be said of many districts that have been excelling with their individual programs and academic college placement rates. Again, the purpose of our discussion was to provide counterpoints, not to assert the value of any one public district over or under Chaminade.