Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have heard from a 2017 parent that it was a positive experience last year -- not from a recruiting or exposure standpoint, but from a development/competition standpoint.

One point, which I don't think I have seen mentioned, is exposure to a showcase type event at an early stage. Many kids are used to playing with their top travel teams. They run a set offense, everyone shares the ball and is familiar with each other. I think it is a benefit to break out of that environment and let the player compete in a showcase/tryout type environement where he is not going to be 100% comfortable with his teammates. Having this experience as a 2018 and when the recruiting pressure is not on, seems like a benefit, if you can deal with the cost.

I am a NJ Dad whose son went to 3D Blue Chip and then made it to the summer Jake Reed event. In my opinion, the event is NOT a recruiting event (even Jake Reed in the summer really isn't yet) nor should you expect it to be given the age. However, it was very well run, combined training/development with the boys' first showcase-type experience which will be valuable down the line, had a great coach to kid ratio, and the competition was pretty darn good. Also, for 8th graders, it is the ONLY way to get to the Jake Reed Nike Blue Chip summer event. That event is definately not the be-all and end-all for 8th graders/rising freshman come summer, but it is a great way to see where your son stands relative to the better players across the country and again get great showcase-type experience. The cost is another matter. Very expensive to do these events, however, if that is not a real issue, I would highly recommend both 3D Blue Chip and Jake Reed if you son is selected.