Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
3d sent an e-mail to individuals attending the 3d bluechip camp

Included is a section with recruiting advice. This particular bullet from the recruiting timeline stood out for me:

PG year? Repeat junior year? Repeating the sophomore/freshmen/8th year is the smarter way to go as repeating sophomore or junior year is sometimes late for the class behind you.

This is the actual advice being provided by 3d to players
Any organization which has gone on record to repeat a year of scholastic (High School) work in order to take another shot at a lacrosse scholarship should be run out of town. This is an embarrassment to the sport not to mention the impact on the individual student.

As we have written earlier on the board, the stigma for a student being held back can bring about socialization issues in addition to boredom of repeating classes and missing the opportunity to graduate with your core friends (who will move on without the star lacrosse stud).

Remember that some states like California have already enacted legislation regarding the number of years of High School sports eligibility. This occurs in football more often (the public to private back to public shuffle) where four years of eligibility are used at the varsity level before senior year of High School. In such situations, many players cannot participate in their senior seasons. Expect that NYSPHSAA will be looking at the issue regarding the number of years of athletic participation versus the academic progress rate.

There is a legitimate place for this, and in some fairness to 3D, the kids social well being is not their responsibility it is the parents. 3D is advising kids and parents on how to get recruited. You are not going to get ROI of an extra year of private school vs. extra scholarship money but it may help you get into a top academic school that if you stayed in your regular grade you may not have, it is a huge advantage in grades and on the field. Parents and players should use whatever they can to get into the best school possible and repeating 8th grade is an option just like private lessons and SAT tutors. Like it or not it is working for a lot of kids

If at first you can't succeed, at your own age, CHEAT and play against the little kids... Ahhh the life lessons some parents teach. Is there no end to depths folks will sink? What's next? Lying about your race? I guess that's ok too. I get it, you can call it race reclassification. That might be another way of stealing a spot at the school you want him to get into. See a trend here? Lying, Cheating, Stealing.... These lessons your teaching won't manifest themselves in other ways when he gets older, don't worry.

From the 2017 board:

There are kids on "Every Team" that are older than the norm.

PAL / Town Teams at the youth level.

Club Teams at the youth level.

Middle School / JHS Teams.

Club Teams in the 7th and 8th grade.

JV and Varsity High School Teams.

HS Club Teams.

College Teams.

Are they all 'Cheaters" ? Are the parents who hold the child back from starting Kindergarden any different than the parents who hold the child back in the 9th grade? Are they Different than the parents who have their child do a Post Graduate Year at a Prep School? Are they different from the Parents who agree to have their child Redshirt in College?

Did Garden City have any holdbacks last Year? How about Ward Melville? I would bet that there are some boys at WM and GC who are holdbacks. What about Duke? Is Rob Pannell a cheater? Pannell did a PG year after HS and Redshirted at Cornell, Did Cornell Cheat? Is Pannell a Cheater? Did he take the spot of another kid?

This has been going on for a very long time. Starting school late, switching from public to private after 9th grade, PGing and redshirting have all been going on for as long as I can remember.

My kids are in the grade that the School District says they should be in but when the time comes maybe I will consider one of the options available.