Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a parent of a 2019 player still 12 for another 2 months, (not going to reclassify), mid 90's student taking Math regents this year.

What should I be preparing for if my son wants to play more competitively. I let him know playing in college is a long shot and a lot of work. He tells me okay, but till then I want to play to be the best.

He is on a top team and a vital part. A few weeks ago the coaches told us to keep an eye out for what the 2018 boys are doing this year. We should be doing the same next year. Seeing my nervousness, he assured me they will let us know what to do. It doesn't only help the player but yes the organization.

As that is all good, Help! Id like to know what and when to expect things. Do I do as much as I can or be selective. My son has been invited to do many different things and have kicked ourselves for not doing them because people said they were money grabs.

My wife asked me the other day what do we need to be prepared for and are we ready. I said I was not sure. Knowing quite well I am not ready. Kind of like when we first had him. Was happy to become a dad but sacred as all [lacrosse]; 2001 was definitely a scary year to remember.

Any help with what happens, when and where, and how do I need to look out for it. I understand this is a blog site and with the good comes the bad and the opinions. I will whittle through the noise. Thanks

1. ignore the 2018 thread
2. have him play on one of the top 2019 teams
3. next fall, usually end of nov, beginning dec, tryout for Brine
4. next winter, around Jan/Feb attend the 3d Jake Reed tryouts
.. if he makes both 3 and 4, that is a great start.
5. Nat175
6. there are several other options, it depends on how much time, effort and monies you are willing to throw away for the various events.

Building on the above:
- freshman year grades are critical - make sure he understands this and you as parents stay on him and get him any help necessary
- get him into the Philly Freshman Showcase for Fall of freshman year - most important Fall showcase by a wide margin with the most/highest quality coaches watching
- get him into Maverick Showtime for summer after freshman year (best summer showcase by far, has surpassed Jake Reed in importance)
- get better at lacrosse by himself, get bigger, stronger, faster