Originally Posted by Anonymous
When nepotism exists, those positions filled unfairly will take away roster spots from deserving players regardless of the tryout method used. There are other points to consider too:

-Not all players with connections are undeserving of their roster spots.
-A two hour tryout is never fair considering that two hours is not a very long time. It is nearly impossible to whittle down from 150 to 25 (or even 50) with only two hours worth of lacrosse.
-A poor player can hide their weak spots for two hours
-A great player can lack the reps to showcase their greatness
-Height/Size is the 1st thing coaches will notice and I can tell you the team will be a lot taller than it should be given not all lacrosse skill, talent and heart is derived from height

A strong player should want both their two hour performance and their overall resume taken into consideration for team selection

I posted above. Please understand I am not inferring that all spots will be undeserving. Most will be very deserving. I agree with many of your points. Your point about size and hieght is interesting. It should be noted that the D1 landscape is changing in favor of bigger stonger players. As mentioned on this forum before, D1 lax is drawing more athletes that formerly would have pursed D1 football. Hence the size is ever increasing of the players being recruited. Just take a look at Lacrosse magazine that just came out. Front cover is dedicated to the training that College Lax players are doing. They are lifting like football players. I also understand that there are exceptions, and smaller sized players with insane skills can still compete at the highest level. (Sankey, Mathies) However the overall trend is towards bigger, stronger, faster players. To the posters point, this team will most likely echo the trend as it realtes to the size of the players chosen