Originally Posted by Anonymous
Terps parent here...

MC is a great coach and definitely is trying to make all boys better and very clear with them that in the biggest games, not everyone will play. You can say what you want about the man and express, but in my experience, he has always been up front and doesn't play any games. In today's world, that means alot. He is running a business and has always been very clear about that to parents. If you want someone to hold your hand, LIE is not for you...If you want more playing time, there are 20 other teams out there.

The boys (at least mine) absolutely respect the man and he is great with them.

I don't know SL so I cannot comment on him or his style. I do know that he always has a great team (the best team in this age bracket).

Last weekend at Adrenaline his team was the team to beat. Terps were winning all game in the championship but lost in OT (not to be a crybaby, but there were a few calls that really hurt the Terp). We have played Extreme a bunch over the years and all games have been tight. Last year lost to them in final at Shamrock, lost in prelim round of lax fest and then beat them in championship at lax fest. Last fall lost in a scrimmage event that MC put together with Dukes, Extreme, Team LI, team 365 (terps lost every game that day).

Terps are also a very good team and can compete with anyone, but Extreme is really the best team. Better than crabs and dukes. I think the talent level on Extreme just a little better than Terps, but who really knows...

MC is a pretty dam good coach...

Nicely put! I know both coaches, styles of coaching are very different, the results are about the same. MC's style of coaching motivates the players while SL's style sometimes makes the player feel as if they are failures. I guess it has a lot to do with the individual players and parents as to what they really want. If you want to win and win often, then you want your child to play with either Exteme or Terps, if you want your child to play at every game, well, there are a lot of other teams to go to, some have and as in real world, the grass is not always greener. You always lose something when trying to gain another.

Not sure how you lose something if your kid is not playing. Look, both these teams have their top players and then everyone else. 4 or 5 years ago kids played summer lax to become better players. Somewhere along the way the focus morphed into having to win every tournament you play in. Hence half the team doesn't play. Don't get me wrong the objective is to win, I get it.
Point is, if your kid plays a lot you're probably happy. If not, get him on a team where he does. Think about this: If there were college coaches at that Championship game and your son didn't play much, what are you doing? He has to be seen playing against the best to be recruited. Is it better to "say" your son is on the top team and not play or be seen by the coaches? Or is it better to actually "play and be seen competing against the best" on a team that might lose to the top team 9-5 or 11-7? I say the latter, you might "lose" the opportunity to say your kid is ON the top team, but gain the opportunity to say your son PLAYS on a team that competes against the best. The coaches are watching how players play, not the final score. Again, for the top 12 or 13 players on each of the top teams this is a non-issue, for rest its time to think about where you stand on the team and how many LOOKS you're actually going to get moving forward. If your kid is not playing at least half the game he's not going to be seen.

SPOT ON!