Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would have to disagree, if the spots were predetermined, why would they change a format of the tryouts. Previous years I would have to agree with you since the tryout determined the 2 teams going to Brine. This year, they are selecting 3 or 4 teams to play against each other to then pick the top players to represent LI. I personally believe my child will be selected to one of those teams and I can guarantee he will work and give 110% in hopes of being selected. That is the only true measure, not clipboards and discouraged parents who then make excuses for their child's efforts. I overheard several parents complaining about the format, the cold, the clipboards. Let's just stop the whining, your kids hear you whine and in turn they use that as an excuse for not performing to their best.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
The middle school tryouts were a joke. My son was on team 1 which spent the whole time on the second field. And for the last two hours, no evaluator had a clipboard in his hands. Not one. The evaluators were yelling instructions to 91 and express kids they know. As one expected, my sense is a majority of spots were/ are predetermined. I get it (to an extent...if a Xtreme stud sucked at tryout, he probably should get a spot in the Pride of LI by reputation). But evaluators....at least try to present that it's a fair tryout. Hold clipboards as you yell out the kids whose names you know. At least parents may think our kids have somewhat of a fair chance and may pony up money again next year.

Its another money grab if they charge. Plain and simple. Another way to get peoples money. Smoke and mirrors. Ok here is the scenario: Kid has monster tryout. Gives 150%. Really stands out. People notice and say it. Then when team selection is made your kid is not on team. Whats the reason? It happens all the time. What people or evaluators dont see or know is that kid who just performed so well finally hit puberty and has been busting his [lacrosse] training and preparing for this tryout for 5 months. Hasnt put his stick down. While others were sitting on their asses and everyone else is catching up or passing them. No excuses, it was cold for everyone. All played in same conditions, woke up early, etc.. But many will be picked based on reputation or team affiliation. Not how they do at tryout. I have heard ohh he was hurt or had a bad tryout many times for some of the better kids when they dont perform well.There is one player who was a tryout that I consider one of the best around but he had a horrible tryout. Looked like everyone else. If there were unbiased neutral evaluators he would be on the cusp of making a team. Isnt that life. You dont make a team on reputation but on the days performance. The kids will tell you who will be on the team before a tryout.