Originally Posted by Anonymous
As long as they look at their skills and not the helmets they have on. An honest tryout. Never happen. Easier to give a few bocks and get him on the team.

We have a committed town team and for the tryouts the players are prohibited from wearing anything that identifies themselves as a member of a club team. It is still pretty political...but that is at least an attempt at making it appear fair. If they wanted these recruiting events to truly be as apolitical as possible that might be something to consider. Wearing a 91 helmet to a 91 tryout is one thing. But one can understand how wearing it to an "independent" tryout where some of the evaluators are say from 91 could be seen as an attempt to influence the outcome....and that just leaves people feeling like their kid got hosed.

I am not in that boat, but I get it.

The idea of not allowing kids to wear club helmets was actually talked about the night of the tryout and I think that is a great idea but instead you would have people complaining about town helmets and the evaluators being biased for a town. I do know of two players that are on what many would consider a top travel team and they both wore their town helmets and not the club helmet and both made the team.

I know... Have the organizer provide helmets,gloves,socks,shooting shirts just for tryouts.. Make them all black and white.

If you read the whole thread, you would read that according to some, the team was chosen before the tryouts so even eliminating club helmets would not hane made a difference.

Just bring in objective independent evaluators. Case closed.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL - great comic relief,