Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So what are people's thoughts on the brine tryouts? Here's mine: With the amount of money that was taken in, is it possible that they could have gotten some impartial evaluators? SL coach of Extreme? Really? Of the 10 players he had there if more than 3 or 4 make the team it's a total sham.
BOTC has been discussing this same topic in the Boys 2017 thread. Did you know that the organizers put out an open call for evaluators to register approximately three weeks before the event?

Seems to me, with the amount of revenue generated, they clearly could have secured impartial judges with no ties to local lax community.

My son plays for the Terps and was at the tryout yesterday - I have an older son that has already played in the event so I have been through this before. here are a few of my opinions based on this post and a few on the 2017 thread.

1) this is a business and the goal of most businesses is to maximize profits, anything done to change the set up of this tryout and tournament is to make it better so more people will come to tryouts and they will make more money - and I think this is ok, it just is what it is)

2) the format sucked, I do not see how you can evaluate kids for a lacrosse team when they never had a chance to play lacrosse, the better "Athletes" could be missed in a skill/half field only tryout. They never had a chance to play lacrosse - if it was my event, I would have had four 45 minute games. Each kid would play in one game of Lacrosse - 2 field, 4 game, 8 team, 20 kids per team and 160 kids getting evaluated playing lacrosse.

3) I don't care if SL picks the entire team by himself or has nothing to do with the selection, any LI MS team would have 8-10 Extreme players on it if they wanted to win. Everybody needs to cut the crap about him having a clipboard, personally I don't think a father should be on the field if they have a kid in the tryout but I also think that if any of the Extreme players make this team over your or my kid it is because they are better then your or my kid not because Sal was on the field at the tryout.

4) This is a great summer event that gives kid a chance to play on a LI team with players they normally compete against and anybody that is fortunate enough to make this should be very happy for the experience their kid is going to have, My older son made strong friendships on this team that remains three years later, so good luck and enjoy